RE: [css21-selectors] Interpretation of attribute selector

From: Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 12:12:14 -0700
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>, "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Boris Zbarsky [mailto:bzbarsky@MIT.EDU] on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:57
AM, wrote:

>On 6/1/10 2:49 PM, Belov, Charles wrote:
>>> Pretty rare unless your app is an editor... :-(
>>>
>>> This and the fact the CSS parser in Gecko don't preserve somewhere
>>> the unrecognized style rules and declarations is a major burden on
my shoulders for BlueGriffon.

>> Also, Word 2003 puts such content into its generated filtered HTML,
so it really
>>isn't rare.

>Word 2003 generates attribute selectors matching the value of "style"
>attributes?

No, Word 2003 generates filtered HTML such as

which I wish to override using CSS using

p[style="text-align:justify;"] {
	text-align:left;
}

Currently, I can only (successfully) use

p[style] {
	text-align:left;
}

which also overrides <p style="text-align:center;">

While I know one could edit the Word document to remove the
justification, or post-edit the code, it is a time burden as well as a
permanent modification of the code.  So CSS would be the ideal solution
for the override, if it actually worked to accomplish this across
browsers.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster