Re: [CSS2.1] Clarifying 8.3.1 Collapsing Margins

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:45:42 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wednesday 2010-07-28 20:01 -0700, fantasai wrote:
>  | Two margins are adjoining if and only if:
>  |   * no non-empty content, padding or border areas; line boxes;
>  |     or clearance separate them
>  |   * both belong to normal-flow block-level boxes in the same block
>  |     formatting context

Strictly speaking, we don't define what block formatting context an
element is "in"; we only define that certain elements establish new
block formatting contexts.  This means that technically, it's
ambiguous whether an element that establishes a new block formatting
context is in the BFC that it establishes.  In general, I think it
makes more sense to say that it is (or, at the very least, that it's
certainly not associated with any *other* block formatting context).
However, this statement assumes that it is not.

I think it is probably worth rewording to clarify this.

>  | Note. Adjoining boxes may be generated by elements that are not
>  | related as siblings or ancestors.

"adjoining margins" rather than "adjoining boxes"?

-David