Re: Implementation of Inset Box Shadow on image elements

From: divya manian <divya.manian@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:36:40 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:12 PM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> Unless they're trying to fake background gradients, which
> we'll be adding as a proper feature anyway, I think I would
> agree. Moreover, I'd place it over the zeroth z-index layer,
> just underneath z-index: 1, so authors can pop things out
> if they want to.

 Inset shadows are definitely not an attempt to fake background
gradients. What I am looking at is something like this:
http://nimbupani.com/vignettes-with-css3-box-shadows.html

I have seen this effect on a lot of graphics used in banners
(especially music artist graphics), and I dont think background
gradients would do this as effectively as inset box-shadows.

Also, altering the stacking order for everything might mean text might
get hidden on elements with box-shadows (I am not sure of the
implications there). It seems to make more sense on elements whose
background property is usually not set (or seen).

- divya