Re: Implementation of Inset Box Shadow on image elements

fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 07/27/2010 11:29 AM, divya manian wrote:
> >
> > The reason I posted here was I think it is practical to have inset
> > box-shadow ON TOP OF the image rather than below the image, despite
> > what the spec says. I think for image elements inset box-shadow is
> > not practical otherwise. inset box-shadow would be of great use if
> > only for this issue.
> > My view is, the spec should be altered to allow image  to show below
> > an inset box-shadow when an inset box-shadow is specified on the
> > image element. There is no use-case for the other case where the
> > inset box-shadow is behind the image.
>
> That's an interesting point. Perhaps it makes more sense for the
> inset shadow to be on top of the content in *all* cases, not just
> for replaced elements?

I proposed something similar (not the same, though) in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Apr/0339.html and
Simon Fraser said it would break existing webpages so I gave up.  It
does seem like drawing inset shadows on top is more likely to be what
authors want.

zw