Re: [CSS21] Issues with inline formatting model (particularly 10.8)

> Anton Prowse wrote:
>> I have identified some issues with the specification of the inline
>> formatting model in CSS21.

And another!

10.6.1 (Inline, non-replaced elements):

   # The 'height' property does not apply. The height of the content area
   # should be based on the font, but this specification does not specify
   # how. [...]

   # [...] But only the 'line-height' is used when calculating the height
   # of the line box.

10.8 (Line height calculations):[1]

   # [...]. The height of a line box is determined as follows:
   # 1. The height of each inline box in the line box is calculated (see
   #   "Calculating heights and margins" and the 'line-height' property).

Issue 13:

The 'line-height' property explicitly /doesn't/ determine the height of
any inline box, and the height of an inline box explicitly /doesn't/
determine the height of the line box.  Rather, it's the 'line-height'
property of the inline box which helps to determine the line box height.

Hence 10.8, list item 1 should actually say something like

   | The 'line-height' of each inline box in the line box is calculated

and link 'line-height' to the property definition.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#line-height