Re: if conditions again

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <andrew.fedoniouk@live.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:14:20 -0700
To: "Sebastian Hennebrueder" <usenet@laliluna.de>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>

From: "Sebastian Hennebrueder" <usenet@laliluna.de>
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 12:08 AM
To: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: if conditions again

>> The main problem for such functionnalities is that it won’t work
>> at all in older browsers. The only solution that would degrade
>> nicely in old browsers is to extend Media Queries, but it have been
>> rejected many times since it was first requested.
>>

> In my opinion - Transforming media queries into if conditions - is a try
> to impose somehow a new feature and stay backward compatible. It will
> never look nice

1) @media supports(feature)

will work out of box as it is backward compatible.

2) Media queries already support requesting capabilities of UA, e.g.
current @media (color) {} is exactly
@media supports(color) {}
I see no major differences between requesting for color support
and requesting for transition support for example.

3) There is no such thing as CSS version strictly speaking.
Each module may have its own version for example.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com