Re: [css3-background] Where we are with Blur value discussion

On Jul 16, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ?_?  That sounds plenty testable to me.  Grab the pixels, verify they
>>> form a gradient, then check where the 99% point is hit.  Sounds easy
>>> to me.
>>
>> What algorithm do you propose to "verify they form a gradient"?  Other
>> than specifying a canonical type of gradient (say, Gaussian) and just
>> comparing against that?
>
> By "forms a gradient" I mean "creates a monotonic transition from one
> color to another".  That's easy to verify by just walking the pixels.

More accurately, it is from one _opacity_ (the shadow color's Alpha component) to another (transparent). It does look like 'one color to another' if it is a single shadow against a solid-color background, with no other elements overlapping it. But that isn't always the case.