RE: [css-background] "background-repeat:round;" and aspect ratio

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:40:35 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Tab Atkins:
> So, the original aspect ratio is preserved only in a, b, d, and h.

Thanks, Tab.  That fairly closely matches my original understanding.

Now let's talk about a use case:

1. image is a photo (GIF, JPG, or PNG)

2. image is "huge" (4096x3072)

3. I want to use it as a background

4. I want to tile it in both X and Y dimensions

5. I don't want it clipped

6. I want the aspect ratio preserved

7. Spacing between tiles is optional

8. target element A is 400px wide and 600px tall

9. target element B is 500px wide and 200px tall

What background properties should I specify for the rule that will be applied to both element A and element B?

- Brian