Re: [css3-background] Where we are with Blur value discussion

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:14:51 -0700
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Cc: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, Brendan Kenny <bckenny@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> OK so you mean that it works as you expect because you get the same result for equivalent inputs across SVG, canvas and CSS.
> That's what I thought but I wanted to check because I strongly support this criteria. Any solution that would require authors
> to monkey with input values when jumping from one feature to the other would be a fail imo.

Not exactly.  SVG takes a number of stdevs as input.  <canvas> takes
roughly twice the number of stdevs, with a different scaling factor
above and below 4stdev.  CSS takes a number with absolutely no defined
meaning right now, though in some cases it might be treated similar to
how <canvas> treats its input.