Re: [css3-mediaqueries][cssom] Empty media queries in stylesheets and the DOM

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 02:49:11 +0200, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Section 2 of the specification [1] states:
>
>> A media query consists of a media type and zero or more expressions
>> involving media features. If the media type is omitted it is assumed
>> to be 'all'.
>
> It is unclear whether the second statement means a) that this:
>
>    @media { ... }
>
> ...is equivalent to:
>
>    @media all { ... }
>
> ...or b) whether it only means that:
>
>    @media (orientation:portrait) { ... }
>
> ...is equivalent to:
>
>    @media all and (orientation:portrait) { ... }
>
> ...but that @media { ... } is otherwise invalid.

This should be very clear now. Well, at least more clear :-) I changed the
editor's draft based on the recommendations of the WG:

   http://www.w3.org/blog/CSS/2010/05/16/resolutions_106
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-mediaqueries/

> Things get more confusing at the DOM level.
>
> If one specifies an @media all {...} rule and then removes the 'all'
> medium using MediaList.deleteMedium()[4], Firefox then returns 'not all'
> for MediaList.mediaText.

I also updated the CSSOM to say that the empty list should be serialized
as the empty string.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/