Re: [css3-background] Where we are with Blur value discussion

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:25:03 -0700
Cc: Brendan Kenny <bckenny@gmail.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>

On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:31 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

>> "blur radius" had been replaced with "blur value" the revision before that.

There was quite a long thread of discussion about this. No one would/could say what circle or ellipse or arc the so-called "radius" was part of, or what made it a radius other than the fact that it was centered on the shadow's edge.

> The reason that it was changed from a radius is that Brad thought that it should be described, and defined in terms of its appearance, not in terms of the underlying implementation.

I was not the only one to think it should be described in a way that was measurable, testable, and author-predictable, and that the measure should be visually equal (in some way) to the length authored.