Re: [css3-background] Where we are with Blur value discussion

Brad Kemper

On Jul 13, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2010, at 9:11 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

>>> I think you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a 1.5px and 2px shadow,
>>
>> Depends on the resolution of the device. On large, low res device (electronic scoreboard, for example), I think I could tell the difference between 3 pixels and 4 pixels.
>>
>> For animations and transitions of different shadow blur widths, I'd want it to be as smooth as possible, adding or removing one pixel of blur at a time.
>>
>> And when 1px = 2x2 or more device pixels, I don't see any reason not to allow fractional CSS pixels, especially to make animations smoother.
>
> The spec allows for fractional pixels (it's a <length>), so animations/transitions can interpolate smoothly either way.
>
> And the fact that fractional pixels are allowed means that this "odd pixel" issue doesn't weigh in on either side of the argument.

Are you saying it is just a webkit and gecko bug then that I can not get an odd-number of blur pixels on my mac monitor by using half pixels?

I haven't yet tried it on my iPhone 4 with it's 2x2 device pixels per CSS pixel, to see how that handles half px.