Re: A List Apart: Articles: Prefix or Posthack

On 7/12/10 5:51 PM, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>> But you and Brad want different things to be supported. You want
>> support for an alias for the unprefixed property, whereas he wants
>> versioned support of all versions of the prefixed property the browser
>> has implemented.
>
> If we could settle on one or the other, would that mean we'd cleared the
> last hurdle? Or even the last major hurdle?

If you settled on your version, it sounds to me like IE and Webkit would
find that unacceptable (though I obviously can't speak for them).  My
position, already stated, is that this version is fundamentally no
different from Mozilla's current behavior except in requiring a bit more
work from the UA and giving authors the false impression that their use
of prefixed properties is safe.

If you settled on Brad's version, Mozilla would almost certainly find
that unacceptable due to the need to maintain the multiple incompatible
codepaths involved.

Both versions have the problem David Baron pointed out.

-Boris