Re: A List Apart: Articles: Prefix or Posthack

From: Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:29:13 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
At 5:32 PM -0700 7/10/10, Brad Kemper wrote:

>On Jul 10, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>  But while it may not fit everyone everywhere, it still sounds like
>>a reasonable compromise
>>  Between 'support forever' and 'take out that prefix asap'.
>Right. Something in between is fine.

    I can agree with that.  I'd prefer "forever" for legacy support
reasons but it's not a hill I'd be willing to die upon.
    I realized last night that a number of responses in this thread
amounted to arguing about how to preserve the behavior vendors
already adopt toward prefixing properties that aren't
vendor-specific.  Which led me to realize that there may have been
some confusion about that.
    Truly vendor-specific properties (hypothetically,
'-ms-office-file-format') should stay prefixed forever.  I don't
think there's much debate about that.  The only time a prefix can
ever come off is if a property becomes non-specific; that is, it is
supported in more than one browser.
    To my way of thinking, though, it's not enough to lose the prefix
that a property is supported by multiple browsers.  The property must
also be A) written into a specification; B) testable for
interoperability; and C) declared to be interoperable by the WG on a
per-browser basis.  Or rather a per-UA basis, if you want to get
formal about it.
    As I said before, I accept that prefixes might go away some time
between ASAP and forever.  Perhaps it would also be a good change to
shift from "all properties must have gone 'bare'" from an enter-CR
criterion to an exit-CR.  I could live with that too.
    The main thing, though, is that I want to get us to the point
where authors get the benefits outlined in the article.  When I
conceived the process I've advocated, I was sure it would be
controversial.  When I wrote the article, I prepared for a lot of
pushback.  Instead, I've been astonished by the overwhelming approval
authors have expressed.  They perceive this as something that will
help them.  It's worth pursuing on that basis alone.

Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/