Re: Selecting for features

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:01:05 -0700
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, Adrian Price <adrian.price@rogue-technologies.com>, David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 7/12/10 12:51 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> I think the underlying issue here is: when does a browser vendor make their
> platform declare support for a feature ?

This is fundamentally the "when does the browser vendor drop the vendor
prefix on the feature implementation?" question, right?

> Thus what we ideally want is a clear, verifiable criteria for a UA to claim support.
> For instance: the spec/feature is in CR, the testsuite for the spec/feature is
> stable, an implementation report has been submitted showing the browser passes all
> current testcases for the feature.

Again, sounds a lot like the vendor prefix situation.... (except for
that bit about test suites, of course, as demonstrated by the
availability of unprefixed display:run-in in the UAs that implement it,
for example).

-Boris