Re: [css3-fonts] unicode-range and unicode normalization

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:29:12 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Yuzo Fujishima <yuzo@google.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style@w3.org, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 06:51:00 +0200, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
>> Yuzo Fujishima wrote:
>>> I believe it would help readers if the specification explicitly
>>> states how characters must be normalized, how glyphs are chosen, and
>>> what is left for UA's discretion.
>>
>> I agree. It's not a simple task so if you have specific suggestions
>> for wording that would be very helpful.
>
> I don't think we currently require normalization anywhere else. In fact,
> there is probably JavaScript code out there that assumes nothing is
> normalized.

That's true, but font-matching is not quite as simple as matching
string characters against a set of available Unicode characters.
Each grapheme cluster needs to be rendered entirely in a single
font. If different characters in the grapheme cluster map to
different fonts, it needs to be clear how to resolve to a single
font.

~fantasai