Module Dependeny on Non-Module Levels (was: [css3-text-layout][svg] writing-mode values across CSS and SVG)

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:14:43 +0200
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
L. David Baron (2010-06-29):

> In css3 modules we've been following the convention, described in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-syntax-20030813/#initial (…)
> However, I'm not sure how much this makes sense now that many
> modules reference CSS2.1 instead of css3-syntax.

Level 3 modules should never normatively reference the monolithic Level 2 (incl. Revision 1). They may informatively reference (a section of) it where their definitions of properties and values differ from earlier specs. Elsewhere they should only reference other modules (from Level 3 or later) and other specifications of course.

Actually with CSS21 becoming CR, there should have been produced in parallel a number of baseline Level 3 modules which were ready for CR, too. They would just split CSS21 into modules without altering or introducing anything. This isn’t necessary for existing Level 3 modules that already have reached CR or are close to it. – Or CSS21 should have been modular already.

Managing a modular spec is hard enough, don’t make it more complex with references to non-modular predecessors.