Re: Selecting for features

On Wednesday 2010-07-07 15:02 -0400, Adrian Price wrote:
> I apologize if this is an issue that's been raised before - I was amazed
> that various searches didn't turn up anything - but is there any plan for
> functionality within CSS to select for browser support for a given feature
> or feature set? CSS3 Media Queries allow selecting for screen size,
> orientation, etc., but I still can't specify a style for a browser that
> doesn't support CSS3 background properties without resorting to hacks,
> tricks, and workarounds. Has there been any discussion of adding something
> like this? For example:

The current proposal for this is probably:
http://www.w3.org/mid/4B1F5636.8040003@inkedblade.net
(though there was a bit of discussion following this).  It takes the
form of testing for property:value pairs rather than just
properties, but is otherwise somewhat similar to what you propose.

(That proposal doesn't contain an option for testing
lack-of-support, though.  This might be nice in the long run, but it
wouldn't be useful for quite a while since current implementations
don't support @supports.)

Beware this is just a proposal -- far from standard.

-David