Re: A List Apart: Articles: Prefix or Posthack

On Jul 8, 2010, at 6:31 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On 7/8/10 5:09 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>>> No, it just assumes that CSS is optional styling, and that people who use experimental properties know what they're doing... (e.g. not using them in ways where lack of support for the experimental property "breaks" their page).
>>
>> So if it suddenly makes the page look much worse but doesn't break it, you don't see anything wrong with that policy?
>
> It doesn't look any worse than it does in a UA with no support for the property, right?

You mean like, say, IE7? No, it could very well look worse, because I could have something in place that serves fallback rules or other property's other values to UAs with known shortcomings, whether through conditional comments, CSS hacks, server-side detection, or JavaScript-based feature detection.