Re: [css3-text-layout][svg] writing-mode values across CSS and SVG

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 07:00:29 -0700
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: www-style@w3.org, 'Patrick Dengler' <patd@microsoft.com>, 'Kevin Babbitt' <kbabbitt@microsoft.com>, public-fx@w3.org, 'Liam Quin' <liam@w3.org>
On 07/07/2010 06:35 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:
> Please don't drop tb-lr.  That is needed for basic Mongolian support (and
> supported already by IE for HTML
> http://www.w3.org/International/tests/tests-html-css/tests-vertical-text/generate?test=3).

I'll make sure we sync 'writing-mode' with SVG before we issue a FPWD.
But I won't get around to dealing with that until September.

That said, I'd like to point out that I Consider Harmful the current
definition of 'writing-mode', as it encourages authors to unintentionally
screw around with the 'direction' property and override the [dir] attribute.
I don't know that SVG has this problem, actually, so I'd need to investigate
what SVG in fact does here. But the CSS spec for sure has this problem due
to Michel's edits in 2003.

~fantasai