Re: [css3-transitions] starting and reversing animations

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2010, at 9:27 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> Yeah, setting transition on "div" still applies to all the subsequent
>> rules, per normal cascading.
>
> Exactly. So what is unclear? When the state changes and a new rule with its 'transition' property suddenly applies, then that transition begins (or at least its transition-delay begins).

The issue is that, mentally, transitioning activates *before* the new
rule takes effect, while the element is in a quasi-state halfway
between the two.  A new value is coming in, but it has to wait and
transition gradually instead.

In my head, then, it makes sense that transitions work based on the
original value of the transition property, since the new value hasn't
"arrived" yet.

Nothing wrong with it using the "destination" state instead, but
either way seems pretty reasonable to conclude.