Re: CSS3 transition strangeness when using background-color:transparent;

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:43:54 -0800
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Friday 2010-01-29 09:25 -0500, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> 624       // FIXME (spec): The CSS transitions spec doesn't say whether
> 625       // colors are premultiplied, but things work better when they are,
> 626       // so use premultiplication.  Spec issue is still open per
> 627       // http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jul/0050.html

I feel somewhat strongly at this point that animation of colors
should be in premultiplied space; this was mostly after
experimenting with the results of both on:
http://dbaron.org/css/test/2009/transitions/transitions-alpha
Doing this does remove some author control, as I said in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jul/0048.html ,
but I think the tradeoff of getting expected results is worth it.

(Another related point is that animations of colors should probably
honor the 'color-interpolation' property in
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/painting.html#ColorInterpolationProperties .)

-David