Re: [css3-background] border-radius color transitions using gradients recommended but undefined

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:47:34 -0800
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
On Jan 25, 2010, at 11:33 PM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> If we don't know what this should look like and would like to
> experiment further, we can
> keep css3-background at the WD stage. Or we can remove this
> recommendation; this will allow
> border-radius to interoperate in a testable manner and browsers can
> still experiment with
> gradient transitions behind the prefixed version of this property
> until CSS4, if they so desire.
>
> If authors *do* want us to recommend incompatibility in this area so
> that browser vendors can
> gather their feedback, it's a different matter. I am not getting
> that message, however.

Are you getting feedback from authors to the contrary? From my own
author point of view, I wasn't that concerned about it. I figured the
UA would either create a reasonable blending of colors at the curve,
or not blend at all. Is this naiive?

In terms of interop issues, I would rate this concern below that of
the inconsistencies of dotted border styles, where some UAs have true
dots (IE, in a happy surprise) and others have square dashes instead,
and no rendering engine is consistent with another in terms of how the
dots meet in a corner _or_ a curve (at least not the last time I
checked).

In other words, at the larger border sizes where one might notice
problems in how colors blend around a curved corner, one can already
see worse problems in dot shape and how dots meet or are distributed.