Re: Small problems with border-bottom for links, resolvable with outline-bottom?

Oli Studholme wrote:
> it’s become
> fairly popular for designers to replace underline with border-bottom,
> for example {text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 1px solid
> #something;}.
>
> The border takes space and the accumulation of 1px increments can
> easily throw a layout with a strong vertical measure (a layout based
> on a baseline grid) out of whack.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the border shouldn't influence the
line boxes; vertical padding, border and margin "bleed out" of the line
boxes:

10.6.1 Inline, non-replaced elements
(http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#inline-non-replaced)

   # The vertical padding, border and margin of an inline, non-replaced
   # box start at the top and bottom of the content area, not the
   # 'line-height'. But only the 'line-height' is used when calculating
   # the height of the line box.

(notwithstanding quibbles about the wording of the last sentence[1]).

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009May/0191.html,
discussion of issue 3b

Cheers,
Anton Prowse