Re: [CSS21] 9.5.2 Effect of adjacent top margin of first in-flow child on clearance

From: Bruno Fassino <fassino@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:05:19 +0100
To: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net> wrote:

> However, in this particular test case, I think the latter behaviour is
> desirable (in part due to the desire for continuity as seen when
> reducing the height of the float from >10px down to <10px, but also for
> consistency with the "easyclearing" technique whereby
> div:after {
>    content: "";
>    display: block;
>    clear: both;
> }
> causes the div to expand to enclose its floated children, even though
> the generated content is empty)

But that's a more general matter. There are other cases when an
'empty' clear is not sufficient to make its parent to enclose floats
(because no clearance is necessary), for example:

(online here http://www.brunildo.org/test/margin-collapse-clear-7.html)

So I think easyclearing is always better applied with non empty
generated content and then height:0, visibility:hidden

Best regards,
Bruno

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test