Re: Proposal: parent selectors

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Eduard Pascual <herenvardo@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I don't think we need to bloat the syntax with different
> names for each version: simply use the generic name, like :has() or
> :matches(), now for the limited version, requiring the argument to
> begin with ">" (or maybe allowing also "+"), and when implementations
> of the full version become a reality the spec can just lift the
> restriction.

The problem with that is that it's too easy for an author to
accidentally slip into the bad-performance version just because they
forgot to put the ">" at the beginning.  Even if we figure out an
acceptable way to handle the general case, the child case will still
be much more efficient, so it's a good thing to make it easier to use
that.