Re: bidi embedding for block-level elements

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:57:22 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org>, www-style@w3.org
On Monday 2010-01-18 10:44 -0800, fantasai wrote:
> On 01/14/2010 12:49 AM, Simon Montagu wrote:
> >I was thinking in terms of applying "unicode-bidi: embed" ad hoc
> >whenever applying "display: inline" to a specific element, but applying
> >it wholesale to all block-level elements will also work, of course.
>
> In that case, I suggest the we add it to the sample default style sheet for
> HTML 4 in the CSS2.1 appendix, and recommend the HTMLWG add some wording
> about block-level elements defining bidi embedding boundaries to the HTML5
> spec (and perhaps using CSS's "unicode-bidi: embed" rule as an example).

There was such a rule in CSS 2.0:
# /* Elements that are block-level in HTML4 */
# ADDRESS, BLOCKQUOTE, BODY, DD, DIV, DL, DT, FIELDSET,
# FORM, FRAME, FRAMESET, H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6, IFRAME,
# NOSCRIPT, NOFRAMES, OBJECT, OL, P, UL, APPLET, CENTER,
# DIR, HR, MENU, PRE, LI, TABLE, TR, THEAD, TBODY, TFOOT,
# COL, COLGROUP, TD, TH, CAPTION
#                 { unicode-bidi: embed }
 --http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/sample.html

Do we know why it was removed?

-David