Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:39:28 -0800
To: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>

On Jan 15, 2010, at 6:39 PM, Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> So, are we leaning towards something like the following?
> [...]
>
> Chiming in with something I haven't seen mentioned at all in the
> thread, perhaps because everyone assumes it's obvious: it's very
> important IMO that regardless of the relationship between CSS px and
> device pixels, bitmap images are drawn at a scale of 1 CSS px per
> image
> pixel.

No, it is important for proportions to be maintained. If you wanted to
ensure your image resolution was taking advantage of the increased
resoltion of the device when zoomed in on the css pixels, you'd have
to use a higher resolution image, without changing the css width and
height values.

I've actually done that sort of thing before (more pixels in image
than what the width and height indicated in px), in order to get high
resolution printing. It worked really well (it was 1-bit images that
downloaded quickly). But you could also use media queries to provide
different images for different screen resolutions if you want.