Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:12:07 -0800
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>

On Jan 14, 2010, at 11:58 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

>> I don't like that part. If I know that a scoreboard at the ball
>> park is 800 pixels wide, with pixels the size of lightbulbs or
>> whatever, I should be able to use that information to create
>> borders that are one or two or three device pixels in width. It
>> shares the same characteristics as other screen media.
>
> There is a huge assumption here of a tie between the designer and
> the output device, which is very rare.

For things like scoreboards or billboards, I disagree. Someone who
wishes to advertise on a billboard needs to tailed their content for
that output. Baseball scoreboards show content that was designed to be
shown there. I've never seen anything that size that was there to just
display any content at all from the Web.