From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:36:08 -0800
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Jan 14, 2010, at 12:55 AM, fantasai wrote:

>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Dec/0155.html
>  fantasai: it is a positioning mode whereby an item hits the top/bottom
>            of the screen it will remain there as long as its containing
>            block is visible in the viewport

[...]

>  glazou: we don't really need x/y positions for this, because we always
>          want the fixed element to stick to edges right ?
>  <general agreement>

I had imagined a way in which right, left, top, and bottom would be useful, if the main value that caused this stickiness was of the 'position' property. Basically, setting 'top:0' would make the top of the screen what the element gets stuck to when it gets there. But if you had 'top:auto; left:0', then it would be the left edge instead, and 'bottom:0' would make it the bottom edge without affecting the top edge. Setting numbers (for 'top', et al) greater than zero would make the element stick _before_ it got all the way to the edge, making, in effect, the minimum distance from an edge that an element could get before sticking (pushing out of the way anything that was stuck there already from this property).