Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> Our mobile browser developers have specifically asked for physical units to
> help them make their UI portable across devices. So whether or not they
> *should* want this, the answer to "are there developers who want this?" is
> simply "yes". (If there is no standard physical unit we'll probably have to
> create "mozmm" or something :-).)

Don't you just need separate CSS scaling factors for the UI and web
(the former might use the dpi information from the o/s to render 1 CSS
in as 1 real in, while the latter might choose to make 1 CSS px equal
to 1 screen pixel)? This is exactly why I was proposing the
reference-length directive: it ought to give the option to choose real
vs CSS units, without allowing things such as mixing real and CSS
units in the same declaration. (I can already picture web content
creators mixing px and truemm ...)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta