Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:38:37 -0500
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: robert@ocallahan.org, Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
2010/1/13 fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:
> On 01/06/2010 02:29 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Giuseppe Bilotta
>> <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com <mailto:giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    If UAs make an effort instead to implement things properly,
>>    working around broken sites with something similar to the Quirks mode
>>    or other workaround used to deal with messy pages, it can be fixed.
>>
>> I considered making pt non-physical in quirks mode only. However, given
>> that HTML email commonly contains font sizes in pt, I expect that there
>> are mailing list archives that present such email in standards mode. I
>> don't see how such archives can really be fixed, even if there was a
>> will to fix them.
>
> I suspect that web archives of HTML emails aren't a very important use
> case here. If they're advertisements, then they might break, but that's
> ok because how many people really want to view web archives of email
> advertisements? If they're written by people, then chances are they
> aren't that dependent on the exact font size since the vast majority
> of people writing email just use flowed text and not fancy layouts.

I'm a bit puzzled why would email advertisements would come into mind
here. When email archives are mentioned I think of mailing list
archives, with the not-so-just-occasional HTML mail that got sent. I
think we're talking about mailing list postings here, and nothing to
do with advertisements.
--
cheers,
-ambrose