Re: proposal for a new css combinator

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:36:16 -0800
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Niels Matthijs" <niels.matthijs@internetarchitects.be>

On Jan 13, 2010, at 4:02 AM, Niels Matthijs wrote:

> Iím quite sure that someone before me mustíve thought about this, or maybe I just didnít look closely enough at the latest specs, but I believe we are missing an important css combinator.
>
> For the full explanation you can check the following article: http://www.onderhond.com/blog/work/missing-css-combinator

I think in general, you could achieve your aims (including IE6 compatibility) with something like the following, right?

.focusBlock header { /* stying for first level of header in the focus block */  }
.focusBlock header header { /* reset any styles you don't want in subsequent header descendants  */  }

It's not especially elegant, but gets the job done, I think.