Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 01:06:03 -0800
Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
To: robert@ocallahan.org

On Jan 6, 2010, at 2:56 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> First of all, I apologize for my previous email being unnecessarily
> strident.
>
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org
> > wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Giuseppe Bilotta
> > <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Or we could fix Webkit and IE to do the right thing, and push for a
> >> web that does the right thing.
> >
> > Please go ahead and persuade Webkit and IE people to change. Once
> you
> > succeed, I promise Gecko will follow suit.
>
> I'm in no position to make other UAs follow the specs (esp. not ones I
> don't use), but if Gecko also decides to stop following it there's no
> chance it'll ever be done. I'd rather see Gecko and Opera follow the
> specs and Webkit and IE follow suit if and when they feel like it
>
> Please, at least get in touch with Webkit people, who are also
> generally good at following standards, and ask them to change. We
> know some of them are on this list :-).

My recollection is that we first abandoned pt being a physical unit
because doing that instead of the fixed 4/3 ratio made a huge number
of Web sites display in a broken way on Mac, since the default DPI
tended not to match what is typical on Windows. I don't think we want
to go back to that world.

Regards,
Maciej