Re: [css3-selectors] Grouping

What you're speaking about now *IS NOT* the
original meaning of :matches selector. It has been
introduced in this mailing list for another purpose.

p:matches(a:hover) was introducted to match any
P tag that contains an element matching "a:hover"
in it. The :has() syntax has been used too.

The main reason why this pseudo-class was
rejected by some implementors : it doesn't
allow to apply changes only to sibling
elements. Adding an element to the DOM could
modify the style of parent elements, which is
currently not possible (we can only modify
sibling' element style, they said)

See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002May/0018.html
for more information about :matches proposal.

If we return to your current proposal (selector
grouping), it was also discuted previously under
many names. At a time, this was even discussed
to be part of the "css variables" pack (BTW, I'm
disapointed that no progress has been made on
this feature many people would love to have).

Many syntax had been proposed, but they were
rejected since they didn't comply with CSS
grammar or were too difficult for the author to
use.

I think the best syntax ever, and that many
server-side css parser does implement (like
http://lesscss.org/) under the name "nested
rules", would really be nice to have in CSS.

Many syntax would be possible among theses one :

--------------------------------------

#myElement > div {
    display: block;
    width: 500px;

    @rule > a {
        display: block;
        color: blue;
    }

    @rule > a:hover {
        color: red;
    }
}

--------------------------------------

#myElement > div {
    display: block;
    width: 500px;
    sub-rules: {
        :root > a {
        }

        :root > a:hover {
        }
    };
}

--------------------------------------

@variable "ElmDiv" {
    #myElement > div
}

:var(ElmDiv) > a {
    display: block; color: blue;
}

:var(ElmDiv) > a:hover {
    color: red;
}

It would be great, though, to avoid using a
single pseudo-class (:matches) to discut about
two very different proposals, because it may
conduce to confusion.

Regards,
François