Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:38:45 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
2010/1/6 Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>:
> Note that it never makes sense to use physical units for font sizes, as far
> as I can tell, if you don't know the approximate viewing distance of the
> target device.  "12pt" fonts are just as broken on a projection screen, if
> implemented correctly (can you really read 12pt font from 15 feet away?).
>  Note that the whole point of defining CSS pixels as a more or less constant
> viewing angle is that a font "looks" about the same size if it's sized in
> px, no matter what the output device.

I don't understand why we are stressing the importance of physical
accuracy in projections. Do people expect units to measure as spec'd
when projected?

When I think of computer projections I think of PowerPoint, and I
expect my font measurements to behave as in PowerPoint. When we spec
12pt on PowerPoint does it result in 12pt type on the projection
screen which looks like a tiny dot 15 ft away? No.

--
cheers,
-ambrose