Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On 7 Jan 2010, at 00:18, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com> wrote:
>> What troubles me about this is the inconsistency it creates between CSS units and the "real world". If these were arbitrary keywords invented purely for CSS, it would be somewhat more acceptable, but pt, pc, in, cm, mm are long-established real-world units with well-known relationships in designers' minds, and it seems fundamentally wrong to redefine them in CSS in such a way as to break that model.
>
> What type of designers?  I suspect that web-centric designers have
> never thought to use pc, in, cm, or mm, even if they have accidentally
> used pt at some point. (No pun intended.)

Not every web designer is a web-only designer. Some may have a background in print design, for example, in which case they're likely to have a pretty clear idea of the relative sizes of "pt" and "in" or "cm", and they're entitled to have that relationship maintained in the CSS world (I think).

Web-centric designers who never use any of these will of course be unaffected by any redefinition of them anyway, so we needn't worry too much about them in this context.

JK