Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On 2010/01/06 10:09 (GMT-0500) Ambrose LI composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Pixel perfection is an illusion in the eye of the stylist only. It's
>> irrelevant for normal web users and across user agents. The ability to size
>> for screen media in px for anything other than images should never have been
>> in the CSS spec in the first place, and should be deprecated yesterday if not
>> sooner.

> As I explained earlier (since "yesterday" is in your statement), there
> was indeed a time when the ONLY safe font sizes for
> Chinese/Japanese/Korean are 16 and 24px (not pt, percent, or any other
> unit). And I distinctly remember that when CSS 1 was created, we were
> still in that time when we needed px for font sizes. So "yesterday"
> they should not been deprecated; today, they probably can be (and
> "deprecated" does not mean "banned").

There should have been and be some mechanism that prevents attempts to render
fonts in sizes that can't get the job done. That might mean either resorting
to bitmaps or some nearest neighbor type mechanism to translate an em or %
request for a (CJK) font into a size that can work for the viewer.

That some CJK fonts only work right at certain sizes not an excuse to use px
for sizing before such time as all users can set the size of a px to meet
their legibility and usability requirements.
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/