Re: Text selector [was Re: breaking overflow]

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:29:41 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
CC: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 1/6/10 10:22 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> For example:

> This is <span></span> text
>
> I assume that you would want the first textnode to claim to have a
> trailing space and the second textnode to claim to have a leading space
> even though after CSS whitespace collapsing there is in fact only one
> space in the example above between "is" and "text"?

And furthermore, it sounds like you'd expect the first textnode to claim
to have a leading space even though after CSS whitespace collapsing in
the above example there is in fact no space there?  Note that deciding
that there is no space there involves information that is not present in
any of the textnodes per se.

As far as that goes, how, if at all, would you expect your
whitespace-collapsing thing to behave on this example:

     This is <div></div> text

Would it give the same results as with the <span> example above?  If
not, why not?  If yes, what results?

-Boris