Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Giuseppe Bilotta <
giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or we could fix Webkit and IE to do the right thing, and push for a
> web that does the right thing.

Please go ahead and persuade Webkit and IE people to change. Once you
succeed, I promise Gecko will follow suit.

If a fixed px/pt ratio is chosen as the preferred solution for the
> mess of mixing absolute and relative units of measure, I would rather
> see px defined in terms of pts (and thus of inches) as suggested
> elsewhere in this thread, rather than the other way around, and have
> the UAs query the display dpi to adjust for the physical px size.

I explained previously why this is impossible.

Rendering speed might suffer a hit on very low end hardware, but to my
> knowledge this would only affect older hardware that is at 96dpi
> already, i.e. not needing any 'conversion factor'.

It's a measurable performance hit on any shipping browser on any hardware.
Also, very few screens are actually 96dpi, even on "older hardware".

Also, for
> performance and quality reasons, UAs could clip the dpi ratios to
> round factors (e.g. assuming a 120dpi on a 133dpi display, thus
> achieving a zoom factor of 125% rather than 138.54%)

That doesn't help performance or quality at all. All scale factors other
than 1.0 are much slower.

Rob
53:5-6]