SVG Background Image positioning

From: divya manian <divya.manian@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 21:22:40 -0800
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Hi all

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question, if not, I
would appreciate if you can direct me to the right mailing list. I am
investigating using SVG files as background images, and have this set
up: http://nimbu.in/demo/

If I set the height of the SVG element in pixels, the background image
renders correctly in Opera 10.5 Pre-Alpha (and also , but does not
render at all in Webkit (nightly, Safari 4, Chrome 4). On Opera, it
also applies the background-position correctly.

If I set the height and width of the SVG element (or the rect element)
in pixels, the background image renders on Opera/Webkit but setting
background-position to anything other than the default does not work
on either.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong with the SVG element
widths or if there is another way to render background-position for
SVG images. I have not been able to find a similar issue in the
mailing list previously or in webkit bugs database.

Regards,
Divya