Re: Counter-reset on pseudo class creates new counter-scope

From: divya manian <divya.manian@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:27:10 -0800
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> The Webkit behavior of resetting that counter to the value 1 is incorrect
> per the current spec text; note, however, that the spec here changed at some
> point in the last few years.  It may be that Webkit implements an earlier
> version.

Thanks. I will check on Webkit bug tracker.

> I don't know where you got your Opera result from.  Opera 10 shows the same
> thing as Gecko over here.

I am sorry, seems like I was mistaken.

> That's what the spec requires, yes.  In particular this part:
>  "resetting a counter in a descendant element or pseudo-element
>   automatically creates a new instance of the counter."
> In this case, resetting the counter on the <li> (the pseudo-class doesn't
> matter except insofar as it resets the counter on a particular <li>) creates
> a new instance of the counter, since the in-scope instance at that point is
> on the parent of the <li>.

OK. I understand this now. Opera rendering is different from
Webkit/Firefox when a pseudo-classes of <ol> element overrides an
earlier declaration:

ol { counter-reset: list-order; }

ol:nth-of-type(2) { counter-reset: list-order 3; }

The example (altered an example from the Opera article on counters [1]):

Should I assume this is incorrect interpretation of the spec by Opera
(since it seems to reset the counter on a pseudo-class rather than a
pseudo-element or descendant)?

Also, is it ever possible to not create another instance of the
counter, or access only the counter value of the parent element in the

[1] http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/automatic-numbering-with-css-counters/