Re: Text selector [was Re: breaking overflow]

On Jan 4, 2010, at 11:28 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>> If we *don't* allow it to match across element boundaries, then is
>> there a good reason for the restrictions?
>
> You can't disallow it matching across pseudo-element boundaries
> (specifically first-line and first-letter), or at least I suspect
> you don't really want to.

Let's say you have some text that cruises the boundary of a first-line
pseudo-element. Why should the ::text pseudo-element be more
restricted than an actual element, such as a SPAN or a B?

> From a theoretical purity of specification, there might not be a
> good reason other than the above.  However, from a difficulty of
> implementation perspective, I suspect allowing arbitrary styling
> on ::text would be much more difficult to implement (it certainly
> would be in Gecko).

I don't know why, given that you can do arbitrary styling on other
elements that cross the boundaries of first-line.

> Hence my question about what the use cases are and whether they're
> important enough to make the feature more complicated and possibly
> slower to get implemented.

The restriction on not crossing element boundaries was intended to
make it less complicated and easier to implement.