Re: Text selector [was Re: breaking overflow]

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 11:05:10 -0500
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
> I also don't like basing anything on document source.  It's much
> better to pay attention to the DOM.

Absolutely.  For one thing, there is no source.  There's just a DOM.  It
might have come from parsing some sort of source, but most cases it came
from some combination of that and explicit DOM manipulation, and in many
cases it comes entirely from DOM manipulation.

> I don't think CSS even has access
> to the document source

That's correct at least in Gecko and Webkit, that I know of.  Well, and
in the existing CSS specs as written....

> p::text("foo b") { display: block; }

Hold on.  Why would we ever allow ::text to have a 'display' property
set?  What are the use cases?  I have been assuming that ::text would
have restrictions similar to first-letter and first-line.

-Boris