Re: css3-background: grammar issue

From: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:54:19 -0600
To: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
CC: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
On 2010-02-23 7:32 AM, Yves Lafon wrote:
> The issue comes from the fact that bg-size and bg-position have the
> same syntax, so one way of fixing this could be to englobe size in a
> function, like background: size(10% 90%), but it doesn't fly well
> with background-size: size(10% 90%).

Using a functional notation is, by far, the clearest method that can be
used to differentiate between a size and a position.

I would be surprised if anyone tried to make the argument that
separators or prefixes such as "/", "as", etc. are clearer for the
purposes of comprehension, so this would seem to be the most optimal
solution for authors despite the redundancy when used as a value of the