Re: [css3-fonts] font-specific feature handling

From: Adam Twardoch (List) <list.adam@twardoch.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 01:01:46 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
The issue with some OpenType features such as "stylistic sets", in CSS
proposal terms "font-variant-alternates: styleset(n)" is that in one
font, the styleset 1 may provide, say, lowercase letters with longer
descender and styleset 2 may provide upright parantheses in an italic
font, but in another font, styleset 1 may provide ornamented caps, and
styleset 8 may provide upright parantheses in an italic font.

To get the behavior of upright parantheses in an italic font in the main
font and in the fallback font, one would need to specify that the main
font uses styleset 1 and the fallback font uses styleset 8. Or perhaps
the fallback font does not have any upright parantheses but it does
indeed provide ornamented caps in styleset 1. Then the author would want
to use styleset 1 from the main font for the upright-parantheses effect,
but not use any styleset in the fallback font, because using the
styleset 1 from the fakkback font would make the ornamented caps appear
-- something that the author does not want at all.

Best,
Adam
--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

Reporter: "So what will your trip to Ireland look like?"
Lech Wałęsa: "I get into a car, then onto a plane, and then the other
way around."