Re: [css3-fonts] font-specific feature handling

David Singer wrote:
> Do variations such as lining figures, small caps, or swash italics,
> fall within this area?  If so, I think it not unlikely that some
> fallback fonts will support those features.

Lining figures and small caps are not font specific.  Several of the
'font-variant-alternates' values are font-specific but most other font
features are not, including kerning, ligatures, numerical formatting,
capitalization and CJK features.  That's why the scope of possible
problems is somewhat limited I think.

What do you mean precisely by "swash italics"?  Swashes in the italic
face?  If so, yes, those are font specific (see swash properties under
'font-variant-alternates'.  Not sure fallback fonts would typically
support swashes, websafe fonts don't appear to support much more
beyond ligatures.

Cheers,

John