Re: [css3-fonts] font-specific feature handling

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:37:39 -0800 (PST)
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>

David Singer wrote:
> So, option #5 might be "The requested variant applies to every font in
> the list, if it exists, otherwise it is ignored." ?

That's default behavior, basically option #1.  Option #4 provides a
way of working around this, of tying feature settings to a single
font, but authors are still free to just use the generic property and
not worry about it.

I think in practical situations this is much harder to imagine than it
would seem, fallback fonts typically fall into the bland, "websafe"
category so the chances of that font having variants is fairly low.
Naturally this could change, websafe fonts could sprout all sorts of
new features but I think it's much more likely that variants are used
with downloadable fonts where option #4 provides a natural solution.

John