Re: [css3-fonts] font-specific feature handling

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:56 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> I assume that saying that variants apply to all the fonts that can support them or have them, does not work?
>
> i.e. if SomePlatformFont also supports the variant, then use it, otherwise ignore the request.
>
> Are the variants that specific to the fonts?

For some kinds of variants, they are. For example, OpenType "stylistic
sets" (ssXX) and stylistic alternates (salt) are both pretty
arbitrary, unknown (from a programmatic POV) variants — they're
"font-specific." Obviously things like standard ligatures, small caps,
oldstyle figures and superscripts are pretty reliable across-fonts:
"font-agnostic."

I'm not that excited about option #4, as it makes it harder to use
font-specific formatting with platform fonts.

For known features, one can pretty easily categorize them (or almost
all) as font-specific or font-agnostic.

Cheers,