On Feb 24, 2010, at 3:29 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

>>>  szilles: Is there an example elsewhere of a slash without something
>>>           before it?
>>

> The border-image syntax is different in two ways from the background
> shorthand.
>
> 1. The order of the elements separated by the slash is fixed.

OK, and the order of bg-position, the slash, and bg-size should also
be fixed, the way I was imagining it working.

> 2. You cannot drop elements leading into the slash or trailing from
> it: it is
>   always separating two parts of a fixed sequence.

True, but I don't see why that's a problem. It is still  an example of
a slash without something [other than another slash and content on the
other side of THAT slash] before it.

As I see it working for background, it would be  separating two parts
of a fixed-order sequence, in which you could still drop other parts
in, as long as size could only be included if it was somewhere to the
right of a slash.